Thursday, February 4, 2010

the end of my vegan days

Day 4 – Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2010

Today I felt a lot better than yesterday. I woke up pretty late, around 11 a.m., and made myself a salad using most of the leftover ingredients from last night’s dinner – arugula and romaine lettuces, shredded carrots and baby mushrooms, but this time I added half a can of 3-bean salad I got from Trader Joes. It was quite delicious and actually surprisingly filling. In the afternoon, I got a little bit tired, so I made myself a cup of ice coffee with soy milk and no sugar.

I got pretty hungry around 5:30 p.m., so I fixed myself up a bowl of Cheerios with soy milk. At 7:30 p.m. I went to dinner with my roommate and some friends at Neo, a Japanese sushi restaurant at 83rd and Broadway. It was definitely a swanky sort of place, and it was interesting choosing vegan items on a regular menu. I soon realized the only things I could order were: miso soup, tofu salad (but I would have had to hold the dressing because it was a creamy dressing), kelp salad, edamame, mixed vegetable kotafuki (basically a veggie roll), veggie tempura and grilled vegetables on a skewer. Since it was such a high-end restaurant, I refused to pay $6 for some grilled vegetables on a stick or $4 for a bowl of soup that came from a packet. I got edamame and the veggie roll (which was very much not filling – only five rolls) and with my friend’s gift certificate, the total came to be about $15 total, including tax and tip. I definitely thought there would be more options at a sushi restaurant for vegans, since there’s not much dairy used in Japanese cooking, but I must say it’s a lot easier to be a fish-eating vegetarian since everything is sushi or sashimi.

I came home and promptly had a bowl of granola with soy milk because I was still hungry. :(


Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010 -- THE LAST DAY!

Cereal for breakfast, salad for lunch, pasta with spicy marinara for dinner.

AND NOW I CAN EAT MEAT :D

No comments:

Post a Comment